Thursday, November 7, 2019

Editing Blog Continued for Commercial

A few classes ago, I was able to move all of our film to a drive and dump it onto my computer. I imported all the clips into iMovie. However, I was not able to begin the editing process. The school computers were not working and that made the transfer difficult. Last class, I made the decision to edit solely on my own personal computer. This is better for me because I can work on my own time and not have to worry about other people accidentally deleting my footage. I opened iMovie and watched our raw footage. Our raw footage was way over 30 seconds, about 1.5 minutes. This was not good. I managed to cut down to about 35 seconds during the first run through, and 23 seconds during the second.

Today, I went over the footage and decided on transitions and sounds. I began by putting a fade from black transition before the fist shot. The second scene is supposed to be a jumpsuit, so I did not put any transitions in between, letting it cut sharply. I then added a cross dissolve transition after handing Leo the cup to move smoothly into the next scene where he is writing. To move into the second part of our commercial, the one including me, I added another fade from black transition. I am using the fade transitions to show different places, characters, and times. Throughout my half, I did not use transitions. I may choose to add some later on, but I like how it looks when it cuts sharply. The last clip we have is an insert of the Dunkin Donuts logo. I used one last fade transition, this time a fade from white, and made sure the logo was on screen for enough time. 

Lastly, I added sound. I separated the sound that came with the footage and I deleted it. This left us with silent footage. I added a "school/university" sound for the during of the first half of the commercial where Leo is doing his homework before school, about 11.6 seconds. I then also added a "school bell ringing" sound for 2.4 seconds starting at the transition into the third scene, and ending a couple seconds into the next scene. For the beginning of the second half I added a footsteps sound but slowed it down to show I was running at a slow pace, this was 5.1 seconds. I then added a "heartbeat" sound for 3.6 seconds while catching my breath in scene 5. I added a clap sound when I caught the donut Leo threw me to emphasize the catch. For the scene scene we filmed, I added the same footsteps sound, but sped it up to show the effect of the donut. Lastly, I added a voiceover for the logo insert saying "America Runs on Dunkin'." 

No comments:

Post a Comment